About the CBLA
The Charter Board Leadership Academy is a six-month institute offered annually by LAPCS in partnership with Charter Board Partners (CBP). The academy creates a pipeline of dedicated, talented citizens from diverse backgrounds to serve as the next generation of leaders in New Orleans charter schools.
Who Should Apply
- Current charter board members
- Members of the public who have the passion, experience, and motivation to serve on charter school boards and aspire to a leadership role on a public charter school board
The ideal candidate has:
- A passion for educational equity in the K-12 context
- Professional and/or community leadership experience
- Ability to craft and generate support for an inclusive vision and strategy
- An action-orientation with a focus on results
- A skill for collaboration and building relationships
- High standards for personal ethics and integrity
- Track record of successfully leading change efforts is a plus
- Full day kick-off meeting TBA
- Workshops are scheduled for: (See schedule below)
- Participants have the option of attending a morning or evening session on scheduled workshop days. Morning sessions will be held from 8:00 – 10:00 AM. Evening sessions will be held from 6:00 – 8:00 PM
- All Meetings will be held in New Orleans
- Participate in workshops on board leadership, board structure and practice, accountability, and equity
- Build knowledge of the current education landscape and analyze examples of exemplary governance from experienced practitioners in and outside of New Orleans
- Participate in networking and community building events in New Orleans
- Participants not serving on boards will be connected to boards in need of their skills and experience
- Learn how to translate board leadership into real change
- Complete an application
- Attend all scheduled workshops and meetings
- Attend periodic networking and social opportunities
- Agree to serve on a board for at least three years and to assume a leadership position (i.e., committee chair or board chair)
- Learn the practices and strategies that enhance the effectiveness of charter and nonprofit boards.
- Connect with community and business leaders.
- Personalized board matching for new board members.
- Mentorship by experienced board leaders.
- Submit an online application during the application window TBA
- Based on the review of applications, selected applicants will be invited to participate in a short phone interview during the interview period, TBA
- Notices of acceptance will be sent by TBA
- TBA: Full Day Governance Academy Kick-Off
- TBA: Academic Oversight & Dashboards
- TBA: School Leader Evaluation & Support and Annual Planning
- TBA: Committees
- TBA: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- TBA: Optional Reception at the Louisiana Annual Charter Schools Conference
- TBA: Crisis Management & Communications