This academy is a selective program that consists of a series of workshops that will cover the most critical issues facing charter school boards. The goal is to create a pipeline of dedicated, talented leaders from a wide range of backgrounds to serve as the next generation of leaders in Louisiana public charter schools.
The academy is open to current charter school board members and active members of the community who have the passion, experience, and qualifications to assume leadership roles in New Orleans public charter schools. This is a ground-breaking program.
Below you will find profiles of a few of those participating in the Class of 2018.
Please contact Neil Ranu at email@example.com.
Who Should Apply
- Current charter school board members who serve as board or committee chairs or who intend to take on additional leadership responsibilities.
- Members of the public who have the passion, experience, and motivation to serve on charter school boards and aspire to a leadership role on a public charter school board.
The ideal candidate has:
- A passion for educational equity in the K-12 context.
- Professional and/or community leadership experience.
- Ability to craft and generate support for an inclusive vision and strategy.
- An action-orientation with a focus on results.
- A skill for collaboration and building relationships.
- High standards for personal ethics and integrity.
- Track record of successfully leading change efforts is a plus.
- Full day kick-off meeting on August 25, 2018.
- Workshops are scheduled for: (See schedule below)
- Participants have the option of attending a morning or evening session on scheduled workshop days. Morning sessions will be held from 8:00 – 10:00 AM. Evening sessions will be held from 6:00 – 8:00 PM.
- All Meetings will be held in New Orleans.
- Participate in workshops on board leadership, board structure and practice, accountability, and equity.
- Build knowledge of the current education landscape and analyze examples of exemplary governance from experienced practitioners in and outside of New Orleans.
- Participate in networking and community building events in New Orleans.
- Participants not serving on boards will be connected to boards in need of their skills and experience.
- Come learn how to translate board leadership into real change.
- Complete an application.
- Attend all scheduled workshops and meetings.
- Attend periodic networking and social opportunities.
- Agree to serve on a board for at least three years and to assume a leadership position (i.e., committee chair or board chair).
- Learn the practices and strategies that enhance the effectiveness of charter and nonprofit boards.
- Connect with community and business leaders.
- Personalized board matching for new board members.
- Mentorship by experienced board leaders.
- Submit an online application during the application window between April 12 – June 22, 2018.
- Based on the review of applications, selected applicants will be invited to participate in a short phone interview during the interview period between June 18 – June 30, 2018.
- Notices of acceptance will be sent by June 30, 2018.
- August 25: Full Day Governance Academy Kick-Off
- September 27: Academic Oversight & Dashboards
- October 25: School Leader Evaluation & Support and Annual Planning
- November 29: Committees
- December 12: Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
- December 13: Optional Reception at the Louisiana Annual Charter Schools Conference
- January 10: Crisis Management & Communications