SY Assistant Principal
Langston Hughes Academy or Live Oak Charter School
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking School Leadership Fellow candidates who can lead and manage the learning, growth, and achievement of students at a K-8 FirstLine School. The following openings are available with our network of schools: Langston Hughes Academy, Middle School Assistant Principal and Live Oak Charter School, Middle School Assistant Principal.
The Fellow will be placed in a FirstLine School and will be responsible for ensuring the success of the school, as demonstrated by high academic achievement and a strong school culture by working with the School Director, School Leadership Team, and Network Leaders. Responsibilities are as follows:
• Develops and communicates the school’s vision and goals, setting strategies to achieve goals, regularly reviewing progress, and adapting as needed
• Ensures all faculty, students, and parents are aligned with the school’s vision and values
• Provides a calm and orderly environment for teaching and learning
• Nurtures a culture that is aspirational and motivational
• Ensures achievement through a rigorous curriculum aligned to state and Common Core standards, systematic use of formative assessment data, continually improving instruction, and layers of learning support
• Ensures clarity of job design for all staff
• Recruits and selects talented team members
• Provides high quality professional development
• Managing the performance of all teachers and staff
• Motivates and inspires action, commitment and initiative while managing continual change and improvement
• Builds a culture of trust where productive conflict can thrive
• Delegates as appropriate to better achieve school goals and develop others
Other duties as assigned
Fellows will spend the summer in leadership training and new staff training. They will then spend the rest of the school year completing projects within a FirstLine School. Projects may include coaching and developing teachers, helping the network with curriculum and instruction and other projects.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Preferred, but not required: MA, MBA or Med
- Demonstrated record of success raising test scores in an open-admissions urban school
- At least three years’ experience as a lead teacher in an open-admissions urban school
- Leadership experience with significant areas of responsibility, preferably in a high-performing urban public school
- Proficiency in using data in the decision-making process
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine values of Service, Learning, Collaboration and Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
SCHOOL LEADERSHIP FELLOW reports to: School Leader (Director or Principal )
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.