Position Description: The Teacher provides a positive environment and implements instructional activities that contribute to a climate where students are encouraged to be actively engaged in meaningful learning experiences.
- Assess students’ skills to determine their needs and to develop teaching plans adapting lessons to meet the needs of students with disabilities
- Develop Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) for each student, implement IEPs, assess students’ performance, and track their progress, update IEPs throughout the school year to reflect students’ progress and goals and discuss student’s progress with parents, teachers, counselors, and administrators, communicating effectively, both orally and in writing
- Plan, organize and assign activities that are specific to each student’s abilities, teaching students as a class, in small groups, and one-on-one.
- Identifies, selects, and modifies instructional resources to meet the needs of students with disabilities ensuring that student growth and achievement is continuous and appropriate for age group, subject area, student’s level of functioning, and/or program classification
- Participate in the development of 1508 Evaluations and completes re-evaluations and waivers within the required timelines
- Collaborates with peers to enhance the instructional environment to meet the individual needs of students with disabilities as well as prepares and helps students transition from grade to grade
- Models professional and ethical standards when dealing with students, parents, peers, and community
- Participates in professional development activities including developing and presenting of appropriate professional development information to faculty and staff
- Meets professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, and following established Education Services policies and procedures
- Maintains effective and efficient record keeping procedures including daily logs, submitting required documentation to supervisor and Education Services Coordinator, and maintains accurate documentation of travel expenses, completes purchase orders for requested materials and/or supplies and performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by their supervisor
Education, Certifications, and Work Related Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher (Master’s Degree preferred)
- Teaching and online experience valued
- Louisiana or Out of State Teaching Certificate with certification in Special Education
Technical Competencies and Skills:
- Demonstrates strong work ethic to achieve school goals
- Displays effective multi-tasking and time management skills
- Utilizes all required and recommended ISL computer applications
- Demonstrates competency in the use of online databases (SER, PowerSchool, etc.)
- Have knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices in special education
- Have the ability to conform to an established work schedule
- Have effective interpersonal skills
- Have the ability to communicate in a concise and effective manner
- Lift up to 25 lbs.
- Repetitive bending, stretching and stooping.
- Climb up and down stairs.
- Have mobility required to ensure the safety of the children.
- Work outdoors in any variety of weather.
- Have visual and hearing capabilities that allow consistent supervision of children.
- Perform light duty cleaning.
- Light typing and word processing.
- ISL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires ISL to provide reasonable accommodations
to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.