|Special Education Coordinator, ReNEW Therapeutic Program|
WHO WE ARE
ReNEW Schools is reinventing education in New Orleans by changing the status quo with innovative ways to prepare our students for college and beyond. The goal of the ReNEW Therapeutic Program is to explicitly teach and support students to have the skills needed to transition to a less restrictive setting, when appropriate. The ReNEW Therapeutic Program integrates therapeutic and educational services for students with complex socioemotional and behavioral needs so that they are given a renewed educational experience and leave the program equipped with skills to access the full range of educational opportunities and choices available to them.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At ReNEW Schools, we expect the RTP Special Education Coordinator (SEC) to lead various aspects of an innovative, intensive therapeutic program for students with severe behavioral and mental health needs. The RTP SEC guides the organization’s academic program by providing leaders and teachers with high-quality, evidence-based instructional and compliance resources so that RTP students successfully meet academic, behavioral, and social goals. The Special Education Coordinator is a member of the RTP leadership team and reports to the ReNEW Therapeutic Program Director.
At ReNEW Therapeutic Program, we expect the Special Education Coordinator to:
Drive and Maintain Compliant Systems & Data Analysis
- Ensure compliant special education files and track all relevant evaluations, and documents for all students with exceptionalities in partnership with Special Education Teacher Case Managers (TCMs).
- Manage all student evaluation and individualized education plan (IEP) timelines.
- Facilitate all Student Evaluation Plan (SEP) and IEP meetings.
- Coordinate IEP meeting completion with partner schools and providers.
- Special Education Reporting System (SER) management:
- Complete jurisdiction/records requests
- Review and provide feedback on IEPs utilizing ReNEW’s Case Compliance Rubric
- Finalize/submit all IEPs to SER
- Pull and review SER reports monthly
- Meet regularly with service providers to action plan and ensure compliant services.
- Monitor and oversee monthly IEP Filing Deadlines including: initialed service logs, communication logs, behavior tracking etc.
- Complete case compliance audits for all teacher case managers (TCMs) three times per year in Whetstone.
- Maintain and update student roster for reporting and monitoring.
- Collect monthly student performance data across a variety of behavioral and academic metrics; share data progress reports with Director and sending schools.
- Ensure testing accommodations are appropriately coded and delivered.
Drive Academic Outcomes for SWEs
- Provide instructional feedback, coaching and development for Special Education teachers and paraprofessionals to ensure academic and behavior progress of students.
- Support teachers in curriculum development, provide training for lesson plan development and consistent lesson plan feedback.
- Support teachers in developing strong, consistent classroom routines and procedures.
- Trains all staff on accommodations, modifications, and other special education best practices.
- Train and provide feedback to staff on writing strong IEP goals and monitoring IEP growth.
Partner with Leadership Team
- Maintain positive team culture through facilitating team meetings
- Develop and deliver ongoing professional development throughout the school year.
- Collaborate on best practices with LT regarding behavior intervention methods and de-escalation.
- Review RTP program applications and participate in student referral and transition processes.
- Provide referrals and advocacy to other community services.
- Meet internal ReNEW reporting deadlines as outlined by Director of Special Education.
- Participate in ongoing professional development and collaboration facilitated by ReNEW’s Student Support Team.
- Maintain additional leadership team responsibilities as outlined by School Director.
WHAT YOU BRING
In addition to the expectations listed above, you will bring the following to our schools and students:
- Communication – Speak and write clearly and articulately.
- Initiative & Persistence – Expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best. Has the drive and actions to set challenging goals and reach a high standard of performance despite barriers.
- Strategic thinking & Vision – Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way to peers, internal and external stakeholders.
- Developing Others – The ability to set clear expectations and to hold others accountable for performance. Influence with the specific intent to increase the short and long-term effectiveness of another person.
- Collaboration – Seeks to establish positive, collaborative relationships and values all voices and appreciates the strengths of others. Reaches out to peers and cooperates with the school leadership team to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Work ethic – Possesses a strong willingness to work hard and produce significant output with minimal wasted effort. Maintains stable performance under pressure.
- Organization – Plans, organizes, and schedules in an efficient, productive manner to focus on key priorities.
- Analytical – Determines opportunities and trends through comprehensive analysis of current student performance trends.
- Constant Learning – Seeks opportunities to acquire specialized knowledge and skills; solicits feedback and reacts calmly to criticism or negative feedback.
Qualified candidates for the RTP Special Education Coordinator will possess experience working with students with extreme behavioral challenges and mental health needs. A growth mindset – that is, the belief that all students are capable of making progress – and a belief in therapeutic practices and trauma-informed care are essential. In addition, qualified candidates will demonstrate experience successfully managing a team of adults. Preference will be given to candidates with clinical expertise and licensure, though all candidates who meet other position criteria are encouraged to apply.
WHAT WE OFFER
At ReNEW, we believe our people are the key to our students’ success. We support our staff with a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a comprehensive benefits plan that covers the majority of the employee premium for the two medical plans offered. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, generous vacation time, professional development, and a 401k plan with 4% employer matching.
Would you like to apply for this job?