The Louisiana Association of Public Charter Schools (LAPCS) is seeking a Programs Coordinator. The Programs Coordinator will undertake a variety of administrative, management, and outreach tasks to support LAPCS’ Bottom Line and Top Shelf programs. These programs are designed to provide charter school boards and charter school administrators with support, professional development, and general guidance in the areas of governance/leadership, HR/legal, finance/operations, and school development. This position works closely with LAPCS’ Programming Team: LAPCS’ Directors of Governance, Legal/Policy, and Finance/Operations.
In this position, you will help plan and organize our programs and events throughout the year and across the state, as well as coordinate outreach efforts to the broader community. Major responsibilities for the Program Coordinator will include:
- Leading the Board Bank initiative for the Top Shelf, which will include recruiting candidates for charter school boards by attending community events in New Orleans and Baton Rouge, as well as educating members of the general public on charter board service;
- Assisting LAPCS’ Programming Team in responding to the needs of charter school applicants and the needs of new schools (i.e. start-ups) through the school developer program to gain a working knowledge of charter school start-up regulation and best practices; and
- Serving as a liaison between member schools and LAPCS to ensure that we are delivering the support our member schools need, which will include regular school visits statewide.
To be an excellent Programs Coordinator, you must be organized, detail-oriented, comfortable with public speaking, and successful in working with diverse teams in a collaborative environment. You must be ready to help our member schools find solutions to problems they have had trouble answering. You must also value developing and maintaining relationships with school leaders, elected officials, members of the broader community, and the vendors we work with. We are looking for someone who is committed to their personal and professional leadership growth and is willing to develop a deeper knowledge of charter board governance and school operations, and over time, become an expert in either field.
Headquartered in Greater New Orleans, LAPCS is a non-profit organization representing charter schools throughout the state. The mission of LAPCS is to improve education in Louisiana by supporting, promoting, and advocating for excellent public charter schools. More information about LAPCS can be found at www.LaCharterSchools.org.
- Manage key relationships with member schools in support of LAPCS’ programs.
- Educate the public on charter school board service and recruit potential board candidates through the Board Bank.
- Promote Bottom Line and Top Shelf programming through e-mail, the LAPCS website, and social media platforms (in coordination with the Communications and Public Relations Director).
- Coordinate event registration and follow-up.
- Act as a point of first contact (i.e. liaison) for schools seeking support from our programs.
- Direct new charter schools (i.e. start-ups) to resources and materials.
- Take the lead in coordinating the logistics and follow-up for LAPCS programs and events.
- Ensure coordination between LAPCS staff for programs and events.
- Write informational and promotional materials for LAPCS programs, including bulletins and newsletters.
- Provide regular updates and work closely with LAPCS staff to integrate activities as effectively as possible and ensure the success of its programs.
- Maintain databases and document systems related to programming and outreach work.
- Carry out administrative duties (e.g. routine correspondence).
- Share team responsibilities for annual conference planning and general support during LAPCS’ annual conference.
- Execute any other task as reasonably requested.
Qualifications and Experience Preferred Qualifications
- Knowledge and commitment to K-12 education reform generally and philosophical alignment with the idea that charter schools should be part of the public education landscape specifically (familiarity with Louisiana education and charter school law preferred).
- Steadfast commitment to LAPCS’ beliefs at all times.
- Willingness to grow and develop professionally and become an expert in charter school board governance and/or charter school operations.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least three years of experience in K-12 education and/or program coordination.
- Excellent communication skills – written and oral, with some experience in public speaking.
- Experience in building client relationships and/or customer service.
- Experience working in a team environment.
- Self-directed, self-starter able to manage multiple priorities and to initiate process improvements.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to contribute when necessary on projects outside of own department.
- Willingness to travel throughout the state and a desire to engage with people of all backgrounds and cultures.
Compensation and Benefits LAPCS offers a competitive salary that is commensurate with experience and a strong benefits package.
APPLY: Interested candidates should email a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com with “Programs Coordinator: Your Name” in the subject line.
The application deadline is Friday, October 19, 2018.