Athlos Academy of Jefferson Parish is seeking a physical education teacher. Athlos is a new, tuition-free public charter school in Terrytown serving students in grades K-6 beginning in the 2018-2019 school year. The school’s mission is to provide high-quality educational opportunities for the whole child built on the three foundational pillars: Prepared Mind, Healthy Body, and Performance Character. Students will participate in four scientifically developed physical activity sessions each week, performance character is integrated into the culture of the school, and high academic achievement is an expectation for all students.
Reports to: Lead School Administrator & Lead Athletic Performance Coach
Salary Range: Competitive Salary and Benefits – based on experience
Minimum Qualifications Required:
Education: Bachelor’sDegreein PhysicalEducation, Kinesiology, Exercise, Science, or related field.
ExperienceRequired: Teaching experience preferred. Candidates with experience working in pediatric athletic development particularly with K-12 students. Participation in high school or college athletics is a plus. APC’s must be physically able to execute the activities that make up the Athlos Athletic Curriculum.
Certification Required: Valid teaching certificate with physical education endorsement, or willing to sit for their certification exam within the first year of hire. Ideally, possess a CSCS certification from National Strength and Condition Association or other youth exercise science certifications.
Characteristics of the Successful Candidate:
- Growth mindset
- Reflective practitioner
- Creative problem solver
- Willing to take risks
- Highly organized
- Effective at time management
- Seeks out professional learning
- Willing to continue to learn and try new strategies/protocols
- Willing to plan and work collaboratively with a team
- Able to build relationships with students from a variety of backgrounds
- Good communicator and active listener
- Implement the Athlos Athletic Curriculum, focused on the development of physically literate students.
- Appropriately differentiate activities to account for student’s physical capabilities.
- Plan, prepare and deliver instruction that engages students and develops athleticism.
- Be an active presence in the school community.
- Ensure student growth and achievement in accordance with grade level expectations.
- Model the Athlos culture.
- Responsible for tracking student attendance, behavioral issues, and classroom events.
- Participate in regular professional development.
- Communicate with parents and the community regularly and professionally.
- Communicate regularly with school leadership and other faculty to maximize instructional activities.
- Participate in the school’s professional learning community to enhance learning objectives.
- Meet professional obligations by honoring schedules and deadlines.
- Applicants must hold or be eligible for the appropriate/required Louisiana teacher certification.
- Any other assigned duties.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, three letters of recommendation, transcripts and a copy of your license to: email@example.com