Office Assistant – International School of Louisiana (2023)
New Orleans, LA 70130, USA
Mission: Our mission at International School of Louisiana is to provide a challenging education emphasizing language immersion, international awareness, the celebration of diversity and community responsibility. The employee must understand and support the school mission.
Summary: The Office Assistant is pivotal in presenting the first impression by which the community perceives our organization. The Office Assistant supports the organization’s mission, vision, and values by exhibiting excellence and competence, courtesy, respect, commitment to the school community, accountability and ownership. Position continually requires demonstrated poise, tact and discretion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Professionally and respectfully answers telephones and directs the caller to the appropriate destination, receiving and relaying messages to staff and faculty.
- Greets and directs visitors to the school in a professional, friendly and hospitable manner.
- Assists with daily student attendance data including: tardy slips, early pick-up/late arrival logs (Student check-in/check-out) & coordinates with nurse and counselor.
- Schedules appointments with parents for principal.
- Maintains Visitor Log and ensure that Visitors receive proper identification.
- Gives out routine program information, answer inquiries and furnish information requiring knowledge of basic school mission, charter, procedures and policies.
- Provides callers with information such as school address, directions to the school location, fax numbers, website, and other related information.
- Manages main outgoing voicemail greeting and general incoming voice mail message box.
- Maintains office and classroom supplies in supply storage area. Coordinates routine supply requests from teachers and staff with the Business Office.
- Receives, sorts and delivers incoming mail, deliveries and faxes.
- Prepares student tardy slips and report for data office.
- Collects and routes home-school communications, forms and payments from classroom to appropriate department personnel.
- Coordinates the pick-up and delivery of express mail services (FedEx, UPS, etc.)
- Maintains a neat and well organized reception area.
- Keeps necessary forms and applications stocked and available.
- Maintains schedule book for meeting rooms.
- Schedules and coordinate school wide student and class picture days.
- Receives student payments and issues receipts in accordance with business office procedures.
- Maintains front office machines, stock and coordinate repairs
- Assists in other areas at times of reduced staff or peak periods including in the areas of school clerical, maintenance, classroom assistance and health assistance.
- Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Maintains compliance with all school policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications, Education and Work Experience:
- Possesses a high school diploma or equivalent (GED), some college experience preferred.
- Minimum 3 year customer service experience and experience in the use of a multi line telephone system in an office/school reception setting.
- Ability to define problems, and resolve them quickly.
- Good working knowledge of security operations, safety practices in a business environment and enforcement procedures.
- Ability to work well with ever changing priorities and or situations.
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately with minimum supervision in a dynamic, interrupt-driven environment.
- Possesses strong organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability and willingness to represent the school in a professional and courteous manner to parents, students, and visitors.
- Ability to work with diverse groups and populations, have good judgment and creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to deal tactfully and courteously with callers and guests, attend to their requests in a timely and empathetic manner, and calmly handle several responsibilities at a time.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions; to work independently on assigned tasks as well as to accept direction on given assignments.
- Ability to work collectively with the administrative team.
- Must have knowledge of basic office administrative procedures, and knowledge of use and operation of standard office equipment, at a level generally acquired by 3+ years related experience.
- Must have basic knowledge of a variety of computer software applications including Microsoft Office Suite and customized databases and Google Suite: Documents, Slides, Sheets and Google Meets
- Ability to interpret and apply School regulations and policies equitably with parents and students.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with others.
- Bilingual or multilingual Spanish/ French preferred.
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and the work environment of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation, etc.) part of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 40 pounds;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes or similar elements;
- Normal setting for this job is an office/school setting.
ISL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires ISL to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Professional Conduct: Employee acknowledges that he/she is required to maintain a high standard of professional conduct. Breach of said professional conduct includes but is not limited to: neglect of duty, dishonesty, and engagement in acts that are contrary to ISL policy, unlawful activities, or any other conduct which is seriously prejudicial to the school system.