New Orleans Charter Science and Mathematics High School (Sci High) is an open-admission, public charter school that prepares all students for college admissions and successful careers. Sci High provides rigorous high school curriculum with an emphasis in science and mathematics in a supportive environment of learning and respect that prepares students to make informed choices about post-secondary pursuits.
As members of the Sci High community, we believe that:
- ALL students can learn and prepare themselves for college admissions and success as productive members of society.
- ALL stakeholders – staff, teachers, students, and parents – must agree that quality education is their shared responsibility.
- ALL stakeholders must be committed to high-quality standards and expectations – of themselves and each other.
- Learning is a process of continuous improvement for ALL stakeholders.
- Effective collaboration and communication are essential to the success of our school.
- Diversity enriches our school community.
- A safe, supportive learning environment is critical to our students’ achievement.
Students who graduate from Sci High will be well-grounded in the study of life sciences, physical sciences and mathematics, and be able to show mastery of all academic core content areas in line with college readiness. As important, Sci High students will lead and act with integrity and honesty in all pursuits. They will be self-disciplined and self-directed and will work together for the support and growth of each individual in the school and greater community.
School History + Program
Founded in 1993 as a half-day program offering specialized instruction in science and mathematics, the New Orleans Charter Science and Math High School has operated as a full-day program since 2006. More than a decade later, Sci High provides a rigorous, laboratory-based education in science, mathematics, and technology to more than 450 students in grades 9 through 12.
Sci High is an open-enrollment charter school that participates in the city’s unified enrollment system, with more than 80% of students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch. As a result, students enroll with varying levels of academic preparation, as opposed to a college preparatory school with a mathematics and science focus. Deeply committed to fostering and supporting the academic success of all students, Sci High offers a full range of supportive programs and resources to assist students, including a school social worker, tutors, remediation, an on-site health clinic, and robust special education services. Sci High has an 87% graduation rate, outperforming district, state, and national averages.
The Board of Directors, called Advocates for Science and Mathematics Education, Inc. (or “Advocates”), of The New Orleans Charter Science and Math High School is responsible for the governance of the school. The Advocates supervise the operation of the institution and monitor progress, including academic, financial and executive functions. Additionally, they work closely with a nonprofit organization (the Foundation for Science and Mathematics Education) established to raise funding for the school through fundraising and grant writing. The school’s annual operating budget is approximately $6.8 million, with revenue coming from local, state and federal sources as well as fundraising efforts.
Head of School Responsibilities
The Head of Sci High will work closely with the Advocates, administration, faculty and staff to provide students with outstanding educational opportunities and ensure the success of the students and the institution. Key responsibilities include the following:
- Sustain and extend the school’s future in hiring and developing an outstanding faculty and staff.
- Work with the administration and faculty to enhance the school’s distinctive programs, particularly in the area of science, mathematics and technology, and to communicate its excellence in a consistent and persuasive manner that attracts new families to Sci High and makes its graduates compelling to colleges throughout the country.
- Assist the Foundation in ensuring that the resources are available to support all students in their learning.
- Enhance and deepen current curricular initiatives, including differentiated instruction, to ensure that the needs of all students at Sci High are met.
- Advance the school’s relocation to a facility in the New Orleans BioInnovation District, this includes working with the Advocates and the Foundation boards on fundraising efforts for the new facility, supporting increased student access to educational resources and internships, and increasing student enrollment to 600-700 students.
- Strengthen the sense of community and teamwork within and among the school’s constituencies.
- Further the progress of the school in creating an inclusive, connected, diverse community
The Advocates are looking for an individual who will provide stability in leadership. It is critical that the Head of Sci High is fully involved in the life of the school and community. This educational professional must be a collaborator in the truest sense of the word, who firmly believes in the value of shared leadership and shared responsibility, recognizing the difference this approach can make in the lives of the outstanding students of Sci High. The next leader will find a faculty fully committed to the mission, core beliefs and students of Sci High.
The new Head must have an entrepreneurial spirit and be willing to not only fully embrace the New Orleans culture and its wonderful diversity but also the Sci High students and community so that the school, and most importantly the students, can realize their full potential. This visionary leader will understand the importance of actively engaging all constituents in the mission and vision of this institution.
Professional Qualities Sought
The ideal candidate will embrace, articulate, and promote the school’s vision of educating young people. The Sci High community is looking for a genuine leader to work with its exceptional community. In addition to being a visionary leader, a strategic thinker, and a skillful manager, successful candidates will have background and skills that include most or all of the following:
- Has a passion for excellence and will create a culture of learning and high expectations so that all students can and will be successful
- Is a student-focused leader who understands the needs of this particular learning community
- Embraces, extends, and communicates, in collaboration with the Advocates, a vision for Sci High to inspire and motivate teachers, parents, prospective families, and the schools that will enroll Sci High graduates
- Is willing to connect and communicate effectively with faculty members, administration, parents, students, community members, Foundation and the Advocates so that these groups are appropriately informed of School events, potential issues and needs
- Possesses the ability and desire to be a warm, hands-on, and approachable presence on campus
- Will be collaborative and have an openness that genuinely invites and respects the perspectives and views of others, yet is decisive when necessary
- Will work collaboratively with faculty members in a way that respects talents, training, commitment and creativity to examine, refine and continue to create and develop the School’s program, including its deep commitment to science, mathematics and technology.
- Is committed to diversity, multiculturalism, and globalism. Has the desire and skill to work with a diverse community in a meaningful and genuine manner
- Will be committed to an active role in a comprehensive outreach program that includes enrollment management, fund-raising, college placement, and broader community involvement to provide the financial and human capital to support Sci High’s aspirations
- Will work closely and comfortably with the Advocates in building a true partnership in governance and leadership
- Has educational leadership experience
- Has an entrepreneurial spirit and is willing to think outside the box
Personal Qualities Sought
The ideal candidate is one who is an approachable, down-to-earth, and confident person of exceptional intellect and integrity, with a sense of humor, compassion and a commitment to young people. Also, the next Head is someone who is calm under pressure, committed to lifelong learning, and possesses a forward-thinking view. Finally, the Search Committee seeks someone who truly has a desire to become an integral part of both the Sci High and the local community, including connecting with the School’s students, teachers, parents and other members of the New Orleans community.
The Search Process
Interested candidates should submit a current resume, cover letter (including personal statement and qualifications) and names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers of five (5) references to: Mathew Heersche, Ed. D, Educational Directions, firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis with the intent to identify the individual by March 30, 2018.
Sci High is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to promoting diversity in the workplace and to seeking a diverse and broad spectrum of qualified candidates. Sci High prohibits discrimination in employment, educational programs and activities on the basis of race, national origin, color, creed, religion, sex, age disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or associational preference.