Food Service Assistant – 1
Our mission at International School of Louisiana is to provide a challenging education emphasizing
language immersion, international awareness, the celebration of diversity and community responsibility. The
employee must understand and support the school mission.
Under supervision of the Food Service Assistant II and/or Chef, the Food Service Assistant I assists in
preparing and serving foods and beverages while maintaining high standards of health and sanitation.
Employee shall perform such duties as are customarily performed by one holding such position in
educational settings of the same or similar nature as that engaged by employer.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains a positive attitude in meeting the needs of customers.
- Communicates with customers in an appropriate, respectful manner.
- Cooperative working relationship with school personnel and parents.
- Handles sensitive issues appropriately and confidentially.
- Perform with a commitment to promote a quality food service program that meets the nutritional needs
Financial Management and Recordkeeping
- Maintains accurate records in compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- Maintains and completes required forms and records related to weekly deposits, inventory, satellite
meals, daily production and assigned activities accurately.
- Implement administrative policies for proper use and care of all equipment.
- Adheres to cost-effective use of resources.
- Proper food production (avoid excessive production and under production).
- Adhere to FIFO (first in—first out)
Health and Sanitation
- Understand and implement the Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) food safety
- Adhere to Safety and Sanitation procedures prescribed by the Department of Health & Hospitals.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness within the dining area before, during and after meal periods.
- Inspects delivered food items and/or supplies for the purpose of verifying quantity and specifications of
orders and compliance with health requirements.
- Complete routine maintenance of cafeteria, dry storage pantry and equipment, including monthly deep
- Monitors equipment operations and reports to supervisor any equipment malfunctions.
- Report to direct supervisor any wrongful acts in the food services areas, complaints from staff, parents
- Follow uniform guidelines.
- Monitors and ensures that reimbursable meals meet requirements.
- Enter student meals into a computerized system at the Point of Service.
- Responsible for assisting with preparing daily meals which includes field trip bag lunches.
- Responsible for monitoring, maintaining and replenishing the salad bar.
- Understand and utilize portion control methods, including weighing of meal components.
- Assist with meal service.
- Assist in the preparation and service of food for catering projects.
- Assemble food, dishes, utensils and supplies needed for timely meal preparation.
- Responsible for cafeteria set-up for each meal service period.
- Prepares after school snacks according to mandated USDA nutritional guidelines.
- Participate in School-mandated trainings and/or meetings.
- Maintain compliance with all school policies and procedures
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Assists with guiding the departmental vision achieving departmental goals.
- Assists with planning and coordinating food services operations with school activities to improve
community relations and increase student participation.
- Stays informed of current trends in the profession and offers ideas and/or creative solutions.
- Acts to influence policies and procedures for Food Services.
- Attends organization and monthly department meetings.
- Assumes other responsibilities as requested by the Food Services Director and/or Head of School.
Qualifications, Education and Work Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Minimum of two years work experience of routine food preparation and/or serving experience. Basic
food handling, kitchen sanitation techniques, and personal hygiene related to food handling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers
- Computer proficiency (MS Office – Word, Excel and Outlook)
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and
providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of
instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and the work environment of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation,
etc.) part of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 40 pounds;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes
or similar elements;
- Normal setting for this job is an office/school setting.
ISL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires ISL to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Professional Conduct: Employee acknowledges that he/she is required to maintain a high standard of
professional conduct. Breach of said professional conduct includes but is not limited to: neglect of duty,
dishonesty, and engage in acts that are contrary to ISL policy, unlawful activities, or any other conduct which
is seriously prejudicial to the school system.
Chain of Supervision: FS Assistant II and/or Chef and Director of Food Services