Director of Finance – Arise Schools (2021)
Director of Finance
NEW ORLEANS, LA /OPERATIONS /FULL-TIME
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Physical Location: Mildred Osborne Charter School
Calendar: Fiscal (year-round position)
ARISE Schools is a New Orleans-based network of K-8 public charter schools which includes ARISE Academy, founded in 2008 and located in the Upper 9th Ward, and Mildred Osborne Charter School, founded in 2013 and located in the Kenilworth area. ARISE Schools currently serves over 800 students in Kindergarten to 8th grade. ARISE Schools is seeking passionate and innovative individuals to join our team as we work to fulfill our mission of closing the achievement gap for our scholars.
Job Purpose: The Director of Finance works closely with the COO and Board of Directors to ensure that ARISE Schools is fiscally sound and sustainable, and that our finances align with our mission. The Director of Finance reports directly to the COO and works closely with school-based operations teams to manage all aspects of the organization’s finances.
Budgeting & Financial Forecasting
- Provide revenue and expense forecasts to the CEO and COO to inform multi-year budget models.
- Attend NOLA PS finance meetings and update budget models with most up-to-date revenue estimates
- Provide monthly YTD budget-to-actuals to CEO and school leaders, identifying trends and potential risks
- Ensure timely and accurate submission of all required financial data, including, but not limited to, the AFR and Quarterly reports
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations and prepare reconciliation for other balance sheet items on a monthly basis
- Prepare standard monthly financial reporting packages and attend monthly board/committee meetings to present on financial health of the organization
- Respond to ad hoc documentation requests in relation to grants, federal reimbursements, and any other party requesting financial documents
- Work with the COO to improve financial and accounting systems and conduct an annual review of financial control policies.
- Work with various providers to produce, distribute, and file all required tax forms, including W-2s, 1099s, 1095s, and 990
- Manage the external audits ensuring that all documentation requests are met and all auditors’ questions are answered in a timely manner
- Manage all aspects of the accounting cycle and monthly close process
- Review all credit card expenses, import from expense platform into accounting system and reconcile credit accounts.
- Reconcile all bank accounts and record all deposits in accounting system
- Disburse bill payments via the accounting system and review all bills for proper documentation and approval
- Create and adjust monthly journal entries to accrue expenses and revenue and balance intercompany transactions
- Review and submit semi-monthly payroll for all employees
- Properly record payroll in the school’s accounting software and maintain all documentation
- Manage 403(b) ER and EE payments, ensuring that they are made in a timely manner
- Oversee all aspects of the grant process, including grant management, reimbursement, and compliance for all federal, state, and local grants.
- Work with COO to submit all applications and budgets in eGMS and submit all PERs and Reimbursement Requests
- Oversee the Medicaid reimbursement process with support from relevant contractors and on-staff providers.
- Work with the COO and school leaders to properly assign revenues and expenses according to grant requirements
Child Nutrition Program
Track all expenses and revenues for the Child Nutrition Program (CNP) and properly record them in the school’s accounting software.
Ensure proper procurement steps have been followed for all funds charged to CNP
Prepare annual income and expenses report for CNP and ensure excess revenue requirements are met.
Record journal entries to allocate shared salaries and expenses to CNP
- Participate in ARISE Schools Student Support Team activities, including trainings and staff meetings
- Attend professional development conferences and learning groups, as needed
- Provide professional development to school-based operations staff around financial compliance, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as needed to ensure the financial compliance and sustainability of the organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent, CPA or LASBO Certification preferred
- Two years minimum experience as a Director of Finance, or equivalent, school-based experience preferred.
- Experience creating multi-year budget models and financial forecasts
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a sense of personal responsibility and strong time management skills
- Ability to manage work of others who do not directly report to you
- Self-starter who is able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Proficiency with technology in an office setting including word processing and spreadsheets; must demonstrate experience and fluency with Microsoft Excel and comfort with web-based platforms; QuickBooks Online experience a plus
- Strong verbal and written communicator
- ARISE Schools offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and full benefits.
Arise Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.