Child Specific Aide
Our mission at International School of Louisiana is to provide a challenging education emphasizing language
immersion, international awareness, the celebration of diversity and community responsibility. The
employee must understand and support the school mission.
Child focused paraprofessional will provide one-on-one support and assistance to a specific child
in accordance with the child’s Individualized Education Plan (IEP).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shadows and provides one-on-one support to a specific child throughout the school day to achieve
academic goals specified in the IEP; follows all plans (IEP, BIP, & safety plans)
- Ensures the student’s academic and behavioral needs are being met;
- Monitors the student’s daily schedule and IEP to ensure a safe and positive learning environment;
- Focuses on instructional activities to ensure the student is focused, engaged in the learning process,
and mastering critical skills;
- Develops critical skills that will ultimately lead to greater independence;
- Facilitates positive social interactions between the child and other children in the classroom;
- Assists and escorts the student to and from each destination and attends to the student’s special
- Assists the teacher in the communications of student progress;
- Monitors student behavior and maintains documentation of care provided to the child;
- Establishes positive and professional relationships with faculty, parents and students;
- Meets professional expectations required such as attendance, professional development, teamwork,
- Interacts collaboratively and productively with school site personnel
- Expresses thoughts professionally in oral and written language
- Possesses adequate technology skills
- Keeps abreast of current research, trends and issues in education by engaging in professional
- Documents and/or report attendance as prescribed by school, supplying all necessary documents for
processing of payment for services
- Performs related duties as assigned by supervisor
- Maintains compliance with all school policies and procedures
- Performs other duties as required.
Qualifications, Education and Work Experience:
- Must have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree or 48 college credits from an accredited college or
university, or have a passing score on the Praxis Para Professional examination.
- Preferred Skills and Management Experience
- Previous experience as a Paraprofessional preferred.
- Educational experience preferred
- Must be able to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive attitude and
providing exemplary customer service
- Ability to work independently and to carry out assignments to completion within parameters of
instructions given, prescribed routines, and standard accepted practices
Listed below are key points regarding environmental demands and the work environment of the job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions of the job.
- Required to use motor coordination with finger dexterity (such as keyboarding, machine operation,
etc.) part of the work day;
- Required to exert physical effort in handling objects less than 40 pounds;
- Required to be exposed to physical occupational risks
- Required to be exposed to physical environment which involves dirt, odors, noise, weather extremes
or similar elements;
- Normal setting for this job is an office/school setting.
ISL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires ISL to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified
individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.
Employee acknowledges that he/she is required to maintain a high standard of professional conduct. Breach
of said professional conduct includes but is not limited to: neglect of duty, dishonesty, and engagement in
acts that are contrary to ISL policy, unlawful activities, or any other conduct which is seriously prejudicial to
the school system.
This position will be evaluated on duties referenced in this job description, engagement in continuous,
purposeful professional growth and development and professional responsibilities.
Chain of Supervision: Principal or Designee