Reports to Principal
About Algiers Charter
Since our inception in 2005, Algiers Charter has proudly served as a staple in the educational community. From our very first day, we operated with the belief that all students can achieve educational success. As we transition to a two-school organization, our commitment to excellence and student achievement has never been stronger. We are forging a strategic path forward to build upon our growth and we are seeking dynamic educational leaders with a proven track record of success to help take our organization to the next level.
The educational landscape in New Orleans is one that requires significant and unrelenting performance and accountability. Our strategic plan for 2020 and beyond has unique operational, staffing and instructional designs so if you are ready to share our vision and commitment to student achievement and pathways, we invite you to submit an application to join our team.
What Success Means In This Position
Directs and manages the overall program of instrumental music and marching band for the charter school. Provides students with an opportunity to participate in extracurricular band activities and ensures compliance with all state and district requirements. Plans activities to achieve district, region, and state recognition
Position Description & Expectations
- Directs charter school instrumental performances including marching band, concert band, jazz band, soloists, and ensembles.
- Establishes performance requirements, enforces academic requirements, and verifies each student’s eligibility to participate in the band.
- Coordinates activities with special groups.
- Provides for band participation at extracurricular events, including concerts, parades, and community events.
- Organizes and implements band trips in accordance with district policy and regulations as well as student interest and ability.
- Plan, rehears and directs musical experiences for the school and community.
- Cooperates with the school administration in providing music programs for school productions, and, as appropriate, civic functions that enhance the students’ performing experience.
- Oversees scheduling and other arrangements for the rehearsals and concerts in cooperation with the building principal.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of school-owned instruments. Controls the storage and use of school-owned equipment and materials; makes minor adjustments and requests repairs to instruments as required.
- Submits budget needs annually to the principal in accordance with established timelines and guidelines.
- Orders all supplies and materials necessary for band-related activities in accordance with established district procedures and budget allocations.
- Develops and implements plans for the instrumental music program and shows written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepares lessons that reflect accommodations for individual student differences.
- Plans and uses appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect the understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned. Create an environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Other duties as assigned by the principal or other administrative staff.
High school diploma or GED and have at least two years of full-time study (48 semester credit hours) from an accredited institution with a total of 15 hours of general education course requirements shall include English/Composition (3 hours), English/Reading (6 hours), and Mathematics (6 hours) or have passed the ETS Para-Pro Assessment
- Three years of experience in an increasingly professional environment
- The ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally