The NET Charter High Schools serve students who have dropped out of or been expelled from high school or who have struggled academically or behaviorally in traditional settings. The school’s name stands for: meeting Needs, raising Expectations, Training for life. Students at The NET earn a high school diploma and participate in internships with area employers in various fields. Our students leave school with the skills, confidence and experience to succeed in the career and education path of their choice. There are two campuses, The NET: Central City which opened in 2011 and The NET: Gentilly which is opening in summer 2017.
This position is a unique opportunity to help build the school you believe struggling students in New Orleans deserve.
Over 50% of students at The NET struggle with behavior or mental health issues and many have been expelled from their prior schools. Thus one of the school’s most important missions is to help students improve their behavior and conflict management skillfulness. This is done through building transformational relationships, leveraging restorative approaches including collaborative problem-solving and mediation, and consistently and lovingly holding students accountable for growing. As an Assistant Dean at The NET you are not “punishing” or “fixing” students, you are helping young people develop.
The NET Assistant Dean is responsible for:
✓ Building genuine and transformational relationships with every student
✓ Using, and supporting other staff in using, restorative process including but not limited to leading restorative conversations, developing student plans, and mediating conflicts
✓ Maintaining building security including, but not limited to, checking students in, managing hallways, entrances, and bus stops, and chaperoning trips
✓ Supporting student attendance through calls, home visits, and other initiatives
✓ Actively walking halls and classrooms and proactively engaging with students and faculty
✓ Teaching and maintaining student expectations regarding dress, electronics, etc.
✓ De-escalating students who are in crisis
✓ Investigating and problem-solving student issues and concerns
✓ Establishing and maintaining strong communication with students, teachers, and parents and family members
✓ Documenting and following up on all incidents, issues, resolutions, or next steps with students
✓ Developing and implementing culture building practices including but not limited to student orientation, student handbook design, classroom circles, trips, and Town Halls
✓ Maintaining a clean, safe, and orderly facility to facilitate learning
✓ Supporting the Dean of Students and leaders with other projects as appropriate
- BA or BS required
- Demonstrated record of working effectively with at-risk adolescents
- Deeply respectful, calm, and de-escalating approach to students in crisis
- Experience with and commitment to working restoratively with students with emotional and behavior struggles
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible, open to change, quick-learning, self-directed, and able to manage in a highly dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Learning mindset dedicated to effectively and innovatively problem solving and constantly improving
- Comfortable with Excel, databases and online communication
- Passion for improving educational opportunities for urban students and for being a part of a strong, mission-driven teams
- Commitment to The NET’s mission, vision, and growth
- Start Date: August 1, 2018
- Location: The NET:Gentilly: 6601 Franklin Ave.
- Schedule: School is year-round with generous leave schedule.
- Salary: $25,000-$35,000 depending upon experience. Initial salary is set based on years of experience and degrees. Future salary increases and bonuses are based on performance and responsibilities.
- Benefits: Comprehensive benefits and generous 403b retirement plan
- Reports to: Dean of Students
For more information or to apply, visit: www.thenetnola.org
or email: Elizabeth Ostberg, Executive Director, email@example.com