In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates four K-8th grade schools and a high school. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking a certified Speech and Language Pathologist.
Planning, Oversight, and Compliance
- Develops school-wide systems for providing prevention, assessment, and remediation services to help children meet their educational goals
- Collects, maintains, and utilizes data for program planning and decision making for students
- Develops a records-management system that complies with rules, regulations, and ethical standards
- Develops system and schedule for screenings, ongoing assessments, and delivery of appropriate interventions for students, which could include classroom intervention, consultation/collaboration and pull-outs
- Prepares and submits reports as required
Screening, Testing, Diagnostic, and Advising
- Conducts speech, language, and hearing diagnostics
- Analyzes and interprets data from the diagnostics and assessments to develop appropriate learning goals and recommendations for students
- Administers on-going formal and informational assessments to track students’ progress towards meeting their learning goals.
- Presents and explains data to the IEP team
- Provides information to parents and teachers about program guidelines and student progress
- Consults with parents and teachers relative to identified and non-identified students
- Manages and conducts therapy
- Collaborates with school leaders, teachers, social workers, and Special Education Coordinators to best meet students’ needs
- Develops appropriate IEPs based on students strengths and needs
- Collaborates and consults with classroom teachers in the management of speech-language disorders
- Plans research-based interventions most appropriate for the needs of individual students and groups of students
- Uses data to adjust and modify interventions and instruction appropriately
- Designs, selects, and modifies curricula most appropriate to help students meet their learning goals and to foster communicative competence
Liaison with teachers, parents, and other providers
- Determines needs for referrals when necessary
- Collaborates appropriately with other allied health professionals
- Develops training and support programs for teachers and other school staff to enable them to better understand language disorders and impact on learning
Education & Experience:
- 2 or more years of experience as a speech therapist in a school-based setting (preferred)
- Demonstrated success working with students in an urban, open admissions school
- Master’s degree required
- A strong background in and command of subject area
- Louisiana State License in Speech Pathology and AHSA
- Must be eligible to apply for ancillary certification as a school based SLP
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine Commitments
- We Keep Learning
- We Work Together
- We Are Helpful
- We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
- We Share Joy
- We Show Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE PATHOLOGIST reports to: Special Education Coordinator at a FirstLine School(s)
How to Apply : Please apply online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.