In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five K-8th grade schools. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine Schools is seeking a candidate for the position of school nurse at one of our schools (four K-8 schools and one high school). Primary responsibilities will include the delivery and coordination of basic health services; management of screenings and referrals; individual health counseling and support for students and families as needed; coordination of health resources and education programming for students and families; and training and support for staff as needed.
Delivery and coordination of basic health services
- Provides basic First Aid to students and assessment and procures and manages First Aid supplies for the individual school site
- Assesses and evaluates ill children during the school day and provides the appropriate care and/or makes referrals as needed
Coordination of annual screenings
- Conducts and/or coordinates annual screenings (e.g. vision, hearing, dental hygiene)
- Follows up with re-screenings as needed
Health Counseling and Support for Individual Students and Families
- Provides health counseling and support to students with acute and chronic illnesses (e.g. asthma, diabetes, sickle cell, etc.) through the following;
- Creation and maintenance of individual health care plans for students
- Administration of specialized care required during school hours
- Education for students about self-maintenance
Coordination and distribution of health resources and information for students & families
- Develops and maintains community health partnerships and a provider database
- Creates referral manuals for parents and family members
- Works with IEP and 504 teams to provide input and support for intervention strategies
- Maintains constant communication with parents and family members through the following:
- Distribution of packets of materials sent home to parents
- Constant communication and follow-up with parents on specific health concerns
- Training and education for parents as needed
- Educational training and programming for students to address needs pertaining to basic hygiene, prevention of health problems, etc.
- Maintains Medication Administration Folders
- Monitors, trains, and assists school personnel to comply with medication policies
- Maintains individual student health folders and ensure that all students have an up-to-date Louisiana Department of Education health history form completed annually
- Collects and manages all necessary information pertaining to a student’s immunization history, hearing, and vision screenings and ensures that this information is entered into the LINKS state database
- Collects height and weight data (BMI) annually
Training and Support for Staff
- Provides medication and basic First Aid training for staff
- Ensures that several school staff members have the proper training to administer emergency care (e.g. CPR, etc.)
- Provides staff with information about students requiring specific health attention or care
Education & Experience:
- At least 2 years of work experience as a full-time registered nurse, including some pediatric experience and school-based experience
- Valid RN License
- Basic Life Support Certification/CPR certified
- Knowledge of Medicaid documentation and reimbursements
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
Model the FirstLine Commitments
- We Keep Learning
- We Work Together
- We Are Helpful
- We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
- We Share Joy
- We Show Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
SCHOOL NURSE reports to: School Leader
How to Apply: Please apply online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.