In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five PreK-8th grade schools and a high school. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine Schools is currently seeking School Leadership Fellow candidates who can lead and manage the learning, growth, and achievement of students at a K-8 FirstLine School. This is a one-year position designed to give aspiring leaders the opportunity to participate in school leadership. Fellows are eligible to apply and be considered for a school leadership role (should they be available) the following school year: possible roles are Assistant Principal and Principal.
The Fellow will be placed in a FirstLine School and will be responsible for ensuring the success of the school, as demonstrated by high academic achievement and a strong school culture by working with the School Director, School Leadership Team, and Network Leaders. The School Leadership Fellow:
- Develops and communicates the school’s vision and goals, setting strategies to achieve goals, regularly reviewing progress, and adapting as needed
- Ensures all faculty, students, and parents are aligned with the school’s vision and values
- Provides a calm and orderly environment for teaching and learning
- Nurtures a culture that is aspirational and motivational
- Ensures achievement through a rigorous curriculum aligned to state and Common Core standards, systematic use of formative assessment data, continually improving instruction, and layers of learning support
- Ensures clarity of job design for all staff
- Recruits and selects talented team members
- Provides high-quality professional development
- Managing the performance of all teachers and staff
- Motivates and inspires action, commitment and initiative while managing continual change and improvement
- Builds a culture of trust where productive conflict can thrive
- Delegates as appropriate to better achieve school goals and develop others
Other duties as assigned
Fellows will spend the summer in leadership training and new staff training. They will then spend the rest of the school year completing projects within a FirstLine School. Projects may include coaching and developing teachers, helping the network with curriculum and instruction and other projects.
Education & Experience:
- Demonstrated record of success raising test scores in an open-admissions urban school
- At least five years experience as a teacher in an open-admissions urban school teaching elementary school
- At least two years of leadership in an open-admissions, urban school, with experience in developing instructional expertise
- Record of success in leading adults; experience with management and supervision
- Leadership experience with significant responsibility, preferably in a high-performing urban public school
- Proficiency in using data in the decision-making process
- Preferred, but not required: MA, MBA or Med
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine Commitments:
- We Keep Learning
- We Work Together
- We Are Helpful
- We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
- We Share Joy
- We Show Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
SCHOOL LEADERSHIP FELLOW reports to: School Leader (Director/Principal or Assistant Principal)
How to Apply: Please apply online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.