In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five K-8th grade schools. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
FirstLine’s Vision Of Teaching Excellence:
We develop teachers at FirstLine by focusing on excellence in teaching. To do so, we coach teachers and center professional development on our Vision of Excellence in Teaching rubric the components of which include:
- On Task (Maintaining high expectations and maximizing instructional time)
- Essential Content (Planning effectively)
- Cognitive Engagement (Maintaining High Academic Expectations and Building Thinking Skills)
- Demonstration of Learning (Leading Instruction, Checking for Understanding, Responding to Student Misunderstanding)
- Community of Learners (Establishing Expectations and Responding to Student Behaviors)
FirstLine Schools is currently looking for talented, passionate Co-teachers at our K-8. Co-teachers are generally first year, highly qualified teachers in the process of getting certified (or are already certified). Rather than carrying a full classroom load on their own, co-teachers spend the year developing their teaching practice through a variety of planning and teaching responsibilities and professional development opportunities through their mentor teacher(s) and school instructional leaders.
As such key responsibilities for co-teachers include the following:
- Co-teach with a K-8th-grade classroom teacher as appropriate (in small groups)
- Plan and lead small reading/math classes
- Assess students and use data to inform teaching and student grouping
- Teach enrichment or intervention class during ‘Enrichment Period’
- Individual tutoring as needed
- Plan and teach at least one unit during the second semester teaching
- Meet regularly with Development Partner
- Participate in duty rotations, whole school, and grade events
- Plan and lead in the development and implementation of at least one school culture project
- Other duties as assigned
Education & Experience:
- A BA or BS required
- A strong background in and command of content area
- Louisiana Teacher Certification Completed or in progress (or be eligible to hold for our out-of-state applicants)
- Experience working with students from open admissions charter schools (or similar public schools)
Desired Qualities & Characteristics :
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Model the FirstLine Commitments
- We Keep Learning
- We Work Together
- We Are Helpful
- We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
- We Share Joy
- We Show Results
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
ASSOCIATE TEACHER Reports to: Grade Level Chair/School Principal
How to Apply : Please apply online via http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.