In 1998, FirstLine Schools started the first charter school in New Orleans. FirstLine now operates five PreK-8th grade schools and a high school. Our mission is to create and inspire great open admissions public schools in New Orleans.
Our faculty is a diverse and talented group dedicated to our students’ success and to their own growth as teachers. Our schools are led by leaders who hold themselves accountable for student achievement and teacher development.
The Chief Talent Officer (CTO) will be responsible for leading the strategic direction of FirstLine School’s talent and human resources initiatives, ultimately stewarding FirstLine’s staff of ~500 educators, leaders, and professionals through the talent continuum. This includes leading all aspects, including:
- Setting and leading FirstLine’s culture and talent vision and strategy;
- Leading the human resources and talent teams to build the necessary systems, policies and processes to recruit, select, evaluate, develop, compensate and retain great staff; and
- Ensuring that educator and leader evaluation and compensation systems build on the highly skilled and aligned teachers, leaders and staff to develop and operate outstanding schools.
The CTO will set and execute FirstLine’s talent and human resources strategy and be responsible for leading all aspects of core talent and human resource areas, including leading the organizational strategy and management of performance management and talent development, employee relations and benefits, and recruitment, selection and retention. More specifically, the CTO will provide the leadership, strategic direction, decision making and team management necessary to ensure the success across the following areas:
Organizational Strategy and Leadership
- Set the vision, goals, strategy and metrics of success for the Talent and HR departments;
- As part of senior leadership, collaborate to establish and align FirstLine’s human capital strategy with measurable impact and performance targets across staff retention, recruitment, employee relations, benefits administration, equity and inclusion, change management, compensation strategies, evaluation and performance management, succession planning and career pathways;
- Assess, design and implement overall organizational health and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) practices and strategy in a practical, measurable and integrated way including work with leadership teams throughout FirstLine Schools to create the conditions that will ensure attraction, development and retention of a diverse team of high performers;
- Work with the senior leadership on key organizational, management, and staff development strategies and issues to facilitate a healthy, unified culture among schools sites and the network office, to ensure teammates feel valued, supported and inspired; including ensuring managers are effective leaders and people managers through mentorship, coaching and feedback cycles;
Performance Management and Talent Development
- Lead the refinement and implementation of teacher and leader career pathways, including the performance-based evaluation and compensation systems, development and feedback cycle with an emphasis on staff retention and satisfaction, with an emphasis on top performers;
- Ensure overall organizational approach to performance management that is both developmental and ensures accountability including training and supporting leaders to become more effective at managing performance;
- Lead the organization in setting and executing a competitive compensation strategy including research, evaluation and benchmarking across the organization and against similar organizations, collaborating with senior leadership to develop a long-term, compensation strategy for the organization including Teacher Career Pathways, Leadership Career Pathways and retirement contributions;
- Oversee tracking and reporting systems for performance management;
- Develop and lead professional development training for leaders and staff;
- Develop strategies to recognize employee accomplishments and behaviors aligned with successful outcomes and organizational approach; and
- In conjunction with senior leaders, oversee succession planning process and implementation for critical roles.
Employee Relations & Benefits
- Lead the human resources team to develop and exceed goals and strategy regarding comprehensive employee benefits and relations;
- Champion, support, and enhance all of FirstLine’s diversity and inclusiveness initiatives, with a focus on talent, school culture, and instructional practices
- Ensure administration of benefits and employee relations matters are implemented in compliance with best practice, federal law and FirstLine policies and in a way that minimizes risk to the organization.
- Play a proactive role in resolving employee concerns, investigating employee issues, and developing positive employee relations
Recruitment & Selection
- Lead the recruitment team to develop, meet and exceed recruitment and placement goals and strategies;
- Lead the organization in setting and implementing innovative, competitive and cost-effective teacher and leader attraction and selection models and strategies to improve effectiveness for recruiting and selecting diverse, high-quality talent;
- Oversee talent recruitment, selection and retention systems, processes, and metrics;
- Lead recruitment for network-based and senior school leadership;
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer, Controller and School Directors to manage staffing models;
- Ensure that every FirstLine school is staffed with highly effective teachers and leaders, as measured by improved student achievement and strong student relationships; and
- Build capacity of leaders across the organization to develop their skills in recruitment and selection through mentorship, coaching and development.
- Hire and develop the Talent and HR departments, managing them toward ambitious outcomes.
- Set high expectations for accountability and delivering targeted, candid feedback to direct reports in order to drive top performance across the network and schools.
- Reports to Chief Academic Officer, manages a team of four to six.
Education & Experience:
- Seven plus years of executive management experience, with success developing a clear vision and strategy to achieve ambitious goals and overseeing key organizational functions in human resources, recruitment, selection and performance management
- Experience working in a non-selective urban school or associated organization preferred but not required
- Demonstrated success in at least two of the following: recruitment, selection, development of training programs, program evaluation, preferably in the education sector
- Track record of success in setting and executing a vision and strategy, including navigating complex organizational change and influencing and coaching others, with an emphasis on systems and relationship building
- Track record of success in codifying and scaling operations in a fast growth environment
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion, including success in the development and implementation of organization-wide policies and practices
- Bachelor’s’ degree with equivalent work experience required; Master’s degree in education, policy, human resources, management or a related field strongly preferred
Desired Qualities & Characteristics:
- Believe in every student’s ability to achieve in a rigorous college or career prep curriculum
- Achieve results based on agreed-upon expectations
- Take personal responsibility
- Highly detail-oriented
- Collaborate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- Share a commitment to creating great schools in New Orleans
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to embed and model the FirstLine Commitments:
- We Keep Learning
- We Work Together
- We Are Helpful
- We Are the Safekeepers of our Community
- We Share Joy
- We Show Results
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Occasional physical exertion required, including exerting up to 20 pounds of force as needed to move objects.
Reports to: Chief Academic Officer
How to Apply: Please apply online via: http://www.firstlineschools.org/careers
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. FirstLine Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
FirstLine Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.