Free Makerspace Teacher Training Program – Apply Today! (Orleans Parish)
Propeller and IDIYA, in partnership with Capital One Bank, is excited to offer a no-cost 16-week makerspace teacher training program to your school! Two teachers from each public middle school are eligible to attend. Sessions take place on Saturday mornings from 10AM – 12:30 PM beginning January 9, 2016-May 7, 2016.
Poised to transform learning in our schools, the maker movement counteracts traditional standards, testing and uniformity, providing a fresh approach to learning that emphasizes creation and creativity – products and processes born from tinkering, playing, experimenting, expressing, interacting and collaborating – and exploits new digital tools to make, share and learn across space and time, do-it-yourself (DIY) style. We believe every school needs a place where students can learn the digital skills of advanced manufacturing and expand their curriculum to include the creative environment of a makerspace.
Apply Online at bit.ly/
Deadline to apply: November 23, 2015 at 5:00pm (CST)
- Teachers receive training on and will become proficient in cutting-edge makerspace and digital literacy technologies, such as 3D printing and modeling, Arduinos, and instruction on how to operate CNC routers, laser cutters, vinyl cutters, table saws, wood shop equipment, etc.
- Teachers participating in the training will receive a class set of Arduinos.
- Each teacher will be eligible for one student class field trip to the IDIYA makerspace.
- One school will be selected to receive an in-house makerspace (buildout Summer 2016) including the following equipment: (3) 3D printers, (1) laser cutter, computers, CNC Mill, hand tools, cordless drills, air filtration, vacuum, Arduino library, soldering irons, buildout, furniture and fixtures, consulting and buildout assistance.
- Must be located in Orleans Parish
- Priority will be given to schools that serve a 51%+ Free and Reduced Meal (FARM) population, as measured by the National Council on Education Statistics. To look up your most recent FARM population through the National Council on Education Statistics, please click this link, select Orleans Parish, click on your school name, scroll down to the bottom, and divide the total FARM population by the total population enrolled at your school.
- (optional) Space and interest from the school leader for an in-house maker space, including the above mentioned equipment
- Teachers must commit to attending 13 out of the 16 sessions.
- Teachers must teach public school students in grades 6-8 in Orleans Parish.
- Teachers demonstrate interest in incorporating makerspace technology and curriculum in his/her regular teacher curriculum.
- Teachers will be required at end of program to submit plan to incorporate digital literacy and makerspace tools in their classrooms for the 2015-16 and 2016-17 school years.
- Teachers must fill out the online application at bit.ly/
MakerspaceTeacherTraining by Monday, November 23, 2015 at 5pm, and we will notify you of your acceptance by Friday, December 11, 2015.
For more information, please see attached pdf for weekly curriculum topics and FAQs. Questions? Please contact Savannah Wheeler at [email protected].