Charter School Association partners with GNOF to offer courses on Building More Effective Boards
All Louisiana public charter schools are governed by a volunteer, non-profit board which holds them accountable for academic performance, fiscal responsibility, transparency and other requirements in the state’s 20-year-old charter school law
Featured trainer Frank Martinelli, President, Center for Public Skills Training and advisor to traditional public and charter schools throughout America for more than 35 years; Author, Creating Effective Charter School Governance Boards and How Community-Based Organizations Can Start Charter Schools
Why Should the Public Know about this?
Parents of students in charter schools, education reform advocates and community leaders need charter school boards to be effective in order for a school to succeed as well as build positive partnerships with the school community at large; there are 134 charter schools in Louisiana, with the majority of them being in Orleans Parish
General Session Open to All Non-profits, New Orleans:
- March 26, 8:30 a.m. to Noon, GNOF, 1055 St. Charles Ave.: Governance as leadership for non-profits: Positioning Your Board for Strategic and Generative Governance
General Session Open to All Non-profits, Houma/Terrebonne/Lafourche areas:
- March 27, 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Houma, Lafourche, Terrebonne areas North Branch of the Terrebonne Parish Library, 4130 W. Park Ave, Gray, LA: Just-in-time Board Orientation and Intro to Non-Profit Board Service
- Register here: http://www.gnof.org/nonprofit-board-basics-bayou-region-session-march-27-2015/
Charter School Focused Sessions, New Orleans: Free to LAPCS members or $15 per person
- March 26, 2 – 4:30 pm, Greater New Orleans Foundation, 1055 St. Charles Ave.: Governing for the Future: Proven Practices for Strengthening Your Board
- March 27, 8 to 9:30 a.m., Louisiana Association of Public Charter Schools, 1555 Poydras St., Suite 700
- Working breakfast with charter school chairs and school CEOs on effective governance and the importance of partnership
- Goal: LAPCS and GNOF are partnering to offer this course in order to create great charter school and non-profit boards that are equivalent to a Michelin-starred restaurant by enhancing their capacity, said LAPCS CEO Caroline Roemer Shirley.
- Registration: Required and limited to first-come, first-served. Registration fees may apply to some sessions. Contact Makiyah Moody at (504) 274-3649 or email@example.com.